Monday, June 6, 2011

Ok - So far I have a big FAIL on keeping the blog updated! I blame it partially on ridiculously priced internet (example: 25 Euros a day in both Rome and Malta) and partially on the sunshine. Since we left I don`t think we`ve endured temperatures under 22 or so - It has been some of the nicest weather I`ve ever had the pleasure of enjoying. I`m happy to say neither of us have had sun burns since San Sebastian and I`m getting a solid tan line from my bathing suit.

We arrived in Malta on Saturday the 4th and are really enjoying it! Everything is so cheap here which is a huge change from our recent stay in Capri. Capri was gorgeous but, now that I`ve seen Malta I would probably choose 1.50 euro beers and 8.00 euro ocean side lido`s over 135.00 euro dinners (probably the biggest shock ever) and 6.50 euro bottles of beer. We were totally shocked to find out that in Capri a 15% service charge as well as a cover charge of 3-6 euros
per person is automatically added onto your bill. We did find one deal on the island thanks to trip advisor (of course!) We decided to rent a boat with another couple that takes you all the way around the island with a guide. We met a super nice couple that I spotted on the tram and luckilky they were going to do the blue grotto and changed their plans to come with us. Both Owen and I were super happy to have new friends to talk to - I don't think we really noticed how little we have to talk to eachother about after spending a month one on one so, it was great to hear new stories and share our experiences with someone else...lol. We ended up enjoying a really nice dinner with Erik and Kelly as well at a really cute wine bar we found in the square the same night. Capri was amazing and I'm definately happy we went but, I am super happy for trip advisor for finding us the deals :)





















After Capri we took the ferry back to Naples and then made our way to Rome. Quick note about Naples - YUCK! I won't go on too much about it but, I was pretty sure we were going to be robbed or murdered on our walk from the train station to our hotel. The streets were covered with garbage and there were so many sketchy people everywhere! I don't think anyone had cleaned up the garbage for months. It was just accumulating in huge piles on the sides of the streets. I thought maybe it was just near the train station but, when we took a cab to the port it was like that everywhere. I'm glad we skipped it and opted for Capri instead.

We had four days in Rome and it was full of walking and sightseeing. I actually can't believe how much we have walked around. We always take the transit (which has been amazing everywhere) but, somehow we end up walking until our knees, ankles and feet can't take anymore. We did the usual stuff so, I guess I won't go into detail.. pictures attached.











On to Malta! I LOVE it here. Like I said before - everything is super cheap with the exception of laundry (Owen picked up our clothes today and it was 30 EUROS!) We flew from Rome to Malta & got a hotel for three nights for something like 530.00 dollars. Our hotel is pretty basic but, it's attached to another hotel called the Palace which has an infinity pool on the roof, sauna's, steamrooms and sundeck so, I'm obviously in heaven. We layed by the pool all day today which was super nice. The wind picks up pretty quickly here and there is an odd haze but, other than that it's been really nice. We didn't realize this but, everything is closed on Sundays so, yesterday we walked around Valletta and took the local bus (see picutre) to a market that is held on Sundays about 30 mins away. Our flight to Athens is tomorrow at 2:00pm so, hopefully we will have internet and I can finish the update there!





Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment