Monday, May 30, 2011

Tourist trap avoidance fails

This one is a poolside update as I consider the events of the last few days.

I think now after just short of a month on the trip, I can start to reflect a bit on how to make better decisions when traveling. And by better decisions I mean getting the most out of each day for the least amount of money... the key quite obviously is avoiding the tourist traps and eating where the locals eat, but a lot of the time this is easier said than done. Lately we have been screwed just once, but it hurts when it happens. Places on capri are the worst I have ever seen in my life. The place we went to charged 3eur cover each, 15% service, 5eur waters, on top of already overpriced meals. Why did we go there? Same reason you buy milk at the gas station the odd time, or buy beers at canucks games. The have the convenience of being in the right place at the right time with the things you want. Contrast that to last night and both our meals in venice...put in the time to get recommendations and our best friend trip advisor's opinion, and boom! Half the price, and as good or better food.

Same thing today. Read about how much of a rip off the blue grotto was, so we seeked out the #1 boat tour and got a private 2 hour tour with another couple for 30 compared to sardining for an hour with 30 others for 25 each...do the research if you have the time is the (my own to myself) moral.

Anyways, I'm sweating and need to get in the pool!

Ciao!





No comments:

Post a Comment